Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Visons of sugar plums danced in my head

I had a great week. It was Christmas and I enjoyed so many fun festivities. However, two nights in a row I dreamed that I had eaten some candy. I just popped them in my mouth, chewed and swallowed. Then seconds later I realized what I had done and my whole year and blog was in ruins. Did I forget I wasn't eating sugar any more? How could this happen? Then I woke up. I was so happy that I had not messed up my 1 year of anti-sugatarianism. The next night was the exact same dream. I wondered why I kept having this dream. Maybe with all of the extra Christmas sweets lying around, my subconscious mind was working overtime. On Christmas Eve, I kept catching myself having little thoughts of popping sugar-filled things into my mouth. My hand never reached out to grab one because I caught my thought process in time, but I was amazed at how automatic it is just to put things into your mouth. I really had to remind myself and it wasn't necessarily that I was tempted because I really wasn't. It was just an automatic thing.
This week I passed on a whole party table full of desserts and treats, eggnog and ice cream drinks, candied apple cider. We made gingerbread houses from scratch with lots of left over candies and frosting. Christmas Eve brought more cookies and fudge, caramels, candies and hot chocolate. Lots of plates were brought over full of wonderful things. The traditional Christmas pudding with nuts and cherries I passed on, will be there next year and the year after that. More cookies the day after and then more fudge making. Sunday night we played games with white fudge covered Oreos and don't forget the vanilla Pirouettes.

This week I said yes to Diet 7up. It really helped to have something crisp and pretty to drink. I also was generous to myself with the Martinellis. Our neighbors who are originally from Mexico, brought over homemade tamales. (they were Fantastic!) We went out to breakfast on Christmas Eve. We tried a new place in Monroe called the Hitchpost Cafe on Main street. I had a scramble (my favorite) filled with ham, sausage, bacon, cheese and all kinds of vegetables. It was awesome. For Christmas Eve, we had my favorite salad and Filet mignon and shrimp. Yum, yum, yum! Christmas day was ham, salad, and potatoes. I had fresh raspberries dipped in real whipped cream sweetened with 1 packet of equal. I did this for Thanksgiving and it has turned into my new favorite dessert. The rest of the days were filled with my favorite soups and leftovers. On Monday we went downtown to the Sheraton and saw some really fantastically made gingerbread houses, then to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch. What a wonderful week.
I tried to walk my dog every day for 30 minutes this week of Christmas. That was the only exercise I got and at the end of the week my weigh-in was down 2.6 lbs for the week. What a great gift that was! My total after 9 weeks is 14.2lbs.
I have been feeling good and I am so optimistic because I have made it through Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Now on to the New Year, my birthday, Valentines Day, and Easter. For me those are just as hard. I think Easter has the best candy ever. I think I'll still have to take it one day at a time but so far, so good.

1 comment:

  1. You are awesome and so motivated. I've really tried to just stay with the treats i've made and not all the other stuff people bring over. Not even close to as good as you are being, but you have given good ideas on how to enjoy the holidays without blowing it.

    ReplyDelete