Monday, December 7, 2009

Feel the Fear and do it anyway.

This week I have been re-reading a book from my Sociology days at BYU. It is called "Feel the Fear and do it anyway" by Susan Jeffers Ph.D.. It has been very interesting and while I have been reading it to help me as I am starting a new project I know nothing about, which by the way has nothing to do with not eating sugar, I am finding the things she says in here apply to many things we deal with in our daily life, and not eating sugar is included in that. Here are 5 truths about Fear:
1. The fear will never go away as long as I continue to grow.
2. The only way to get rid of the fear of doing something is to go out and do it.
3. The only way to feel better about myself is to go out... and do it.
4. Not only am I going to experience fear whenever I'm on unfamiliar territory, so is everyone else.
5. Pushing through fear is less frightening than living with the underlying fear that comes from a feeling of helplessness.
page 22

I love this paragraph also:
"It is reported that more than 90% of what we worry about never happens. That means that our negative worries have less than a 10% chance of being correct. If this is so, isn't being positive more realistic than being negative?" page 62
Good point, me thinks!

Lastly, I wanted to put up "The 7 ways to reclaim your power" instead of pain: This part I directly relate to myself as I am trying to reclaim my power over my diet.

1. Avoid casting blame on an external force for your bad feelings about life. Nothing outside yourself can control your thinking or your actions.
2. Avoid blaming yourself for not being in control. (This is not a contradiction to the 1st one. It is mostly saying don't be down on yourself all the time, constantly saying things such as "there I go messing up my life again", or "I'm hopeless", or "When will I ever learn?") Think positive thoughts.
3. Be aware of when and where you play the victim role. Learn the clues that tell you that you are not being responsible for what you are being, having, doing, or feeling.
4. Familiarize yourself with your biggest enemy-your Chatterbox. (That non-stop voice in your head that talks to you negatively all day)
5. Figure out the payoffs that keep you "stuck". Paradoxically, once you find them, you will probably be able to quickly become "unstuck".
6. Determine what you want in life and act on it. Stop waiting for someone to give it to you. You'll be waiting a long time.
7. Be aware of the many choices you have-in both actions and feelings--in any situation that comes your way. Choose the path that contributes to your growth and makes you feel at peace with yourself and others.
-page 58
Sorry if you're not into the psycho babble. Sometimes I like it, and this time I thought I would share. On to other things...

I had a great week. My brother visited and we did many things. I also passed up many treats, but I ate really good food too as we went out to eat three days in a row. Real food tastes so good when not tainted with sugar. I enjoyed a crab melt and salad down at Pike's market, crab stuffed trout in downtown Seattle, and ham stuffed chicken with a wonderful white sauce in the quaint little town we went to after we got off the ferry. Mmmmmmmm, simply delightful! But most of all I really enjoyed the time spent together and the things we saw and did, more than any treat I could ever buy or eat. That is what my whole journey is about. This weekend was awesome and I don't feel deprived one bit, but rather overjoyed with blessings in abundance. Have a good week everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment